Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pigs eating their young

When I was young, I had a couple of pigs. They lived in a pig pen and were not "real" pets, but I named them Tony and Cleo and talked to them as though they could understand. When Cleo was pregnant and had piglets, I was excited. My mom told me to stay back, but of course I squirmed through to get a closer look, and I saw dear Cleo eating some of her babies. She had too many and couldn't feed all of them. So she ate the extras.

I had my dad sell the pigs after that. It was too gruesome for me to forgive. Now I see us attacking President Obama, tearing at him for not being Spartacus and Jesus and Gandhi and FDR. We go after each other, too, blaming and nitpicking and being critical of every statement and position. We even criticise if we are not serious enough or if someone jokes about something that seems extraneous to the current crises.

Why do we do this to each other? I don't think we should rubber-stamp everything that Obama does. I welcome constructive criticism. But can't we remember from one day to the next what good things have happened? Maybe we need a list of accomplishments posted every single day so we can refer to it and remind ourselves that forward progress is happening.

We know process. None of us are ignorant of how government works. Why would we blame the President if signs aren't posted in our local area saying federal stimulas money is at work? Do you seriously think he is in charge of signs? Why would we criticise Obama if the Legislature is recalcitrant? Separation of powers is the underpinning of our government. So let's be realistic, people. Focus on what we can do, and get to work.

We are consuming ourselves, our energy, by our mutually destructive attitudes. This is how pigs act, eating their own. Are we not better than that?

2 comments:

  1. I agree and have been trying to support the President.It is hard to find positive news but keep watching the good things that are happening. Keep up the good reporting. Your thoughts and words are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! What an apt analogy to what has been going on. I hope that after the SOTU Progressives get back to being..well..progressive. There is so much to do, and such little time to do it. Again, thank you for the clarity of your thoughts.

    Cheers,

    CN

    ReplyDelete