Thursday, January 28, 2010

Someone has to be the Mom

We are like a bunch of kids when we get together on Twitter! Everyone hollering, "look at me! look at me!" And then one of us holds up a bright shiny object and a cluster forms, each grabbing at it and adding our own squeals of delight. Sometimes we are like teenagers, sarcasm and irony dripping from our hoodies. Other times we are five-year-olds, giggling over the poop jokes and holding our noses when the poop is real.

Problem is, someone has to be the Mom. Mom has to make sure the stove is turned off and the china is put away. Mom has to pull us apart when we are scuffling and tell us to shush when we get too loud. Mom has to wash our hands when they are dirty and put bandages on our scraped knees. Mom has to be the grownup so the rest can have fun.

I get tired of being the Mom. So do a few other Moms on Twitter. Sometimes we want to laugh with you but we don't want the jokes to be mean. And we want to be critical without having to throw water balloons. Once in a while we want to be grownups having a serious conversation and other times we want to be kids, too. Just saying.

3 comments:

  1. hopefully you wont always have to be the mom with the rest of us acting like irresponsible children and complete idiots on a daily basis. in the back of my mind i know that most of us are better than what we display to the world on twitter and we need to start using our better judgement instead of being idiots on purpose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tone, you don't get rowdy until late at night with your banter. And I just ignore you then. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your posts, Della. I'm afraid I lurk more than I tweet in twitter. I'm listening and checking some of the links but I also get a little disgusted when posts get pointlessly nasty. Sometimes we forget there are real people behind the avatars.

    ReplyDelete