Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My problem with Christians

DISCLOSURE: I am a Christian. A long-time member and supporter of my church, Dayspring Fellowship in Eugene, Oregon, I taught a class called "Christianity 101" which covered how one becomes a Christian and the basic doctrines of Christianity. My husband is an ordained minister, the spiritual advisor of a large alcohol and drug treatment center, and an elder of our church. I have an investment in Christianity, so to speak, and my investment is looking bad.

When Jerry Falwell started the Moral Majority movement back in the late 70's, I was hesitant to support it. I quickly saw Christians cosigning with that "absolute" way of thinking. This was before email, but still the message was dissiminated at church meetings and casual get-togethers. Think alike. Think alike.

The force of Christian automotons began to move into the political landscape. Candidates for public office were "ours" or "not ours." I started keeping my mouth shut when I didn't agree because I didn't want this force to turn against me. I voted according to my conscience but I didn't speak out.

Eventually the Moral Majority expended itself, Falwell retired, and Pat Robertson and the Christian Coalition took charge. Robertson continued to promote the Think Alike version of Christianity, and his 700 Club took on the pretense of a news organization. Once more, I kept my mouth shut. I didn't stand up and openly disagree.

Now James Dobsen, Focus on the Family and The Family Research Council are the current rage, outspoken advocates for conservative "family values." They have every right to espouse their views, abhorrent as some of them are to me. But I greatly resent that I as a Christian am expected to agree with them. I must now raise my voice in objection to the tactics and fanatacism of the Christian right wing. As Christians, we are told to emulate Christ, but devotion to Christ does not include a slavish devotion to a political point of view.

It is the nature of Christians to work tirelessly on church projects and to engage in civic improvement. The right wing of American politics has taken advantage of this nature to redirect it toward political causes: handing out pamphlets, turning up at rallies, carrying signs, turning out to vote... the right way. Volunteers are willing to be led by self-proclaimed religious leaders and politicians whose Christianity is found in a fish on a bumper sticker. Christianity quickly disappears and hateful rhetoric appears. Fear rules. It disgusts me.

I dislike being identified with these people when I identify myself as a Christian. And I think Christ himself would shove them away because of their outspoken opposition to social programs and lack of empathy for the neediest or most oppressed people in our country. I have lost friends because of my liberal leanings. But I have not, as some Christian conservatives would claim, lost my soul. I think that the more compassion I am able to feel, the closer I am to my God. As Jesus said, "Whatever you've done to the least of these my brothers, you have done it unto Me." Matthew 25:40.

And that is my problem with Christians.

10 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. The right wing of the republican party and false prophets that promote fear and intolerance are doing nothing to help out the good name of Christianity and in fact its ruining the name of Christianity throughout the country and throughout the world. Every year more and more regular Christians become dissatisfied with the church and some of them even leave the church due to the extreme amounts of hateful rhetoric,fear mongering,intolerance and ignorance all in the name of Christ. Churches need to stop letting politics and Christ mix because we dont need to dirty up the name of our lord and savior with petty political issues that are usually fueled by a few men and their quest for power

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tone for your comment, Churches do need to stop mixing politics with Christ. We have to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Della, thank you for posting this and sharing your perspective. When you first followed me on Twitter, I looked at your profile and almost blocked you because you identified yourself as "Christian" and I presumed that meant the narrow-minded, overly politicized version. I'm now glad I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Madam,

    Thank you kindly! It would be a boon to the Christian religion as a whole if this meme would spread and be as clearly articulated by others. It is very refreshing, and I dare say welcoming, to hear.

    Cheers,

    CN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are emulating what a true Christian is! Thoughtful, Insightful and caring! Thank YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Della, for stating the way I think an awful lot of Christians feel. You are absolutely right--we must speak out against the politicization of religion; that always leads to persecution. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post. I just learned of your blog from a Twitter post. Glad I checked it out! You and I have the same thoughts on this subject: I believe in Christ, but it's today's Christians that give me pause. (I sort of stole that from Gandhi.) I also feel that if churches feel the need to get involved in politics, they need to be taxed as "corporations."

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lost my faith in Christianity a long time ago, but reading your post I am so happy that there are still good Christian folk living a life of love and service to humanity and not just to the Moral Majority. Good people such as yourself need to raise your voices in unity and show people that Christ is still alive in Christianity. I was always taught that Jesus was Love and not just a cross to embed on the butt of a gun. Thank you Della.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for speaking out. Because of the way things have been...I now refuse to call myself a "Christian". I call myself a "Believer". That is my way of saying that I disagree with the hate and fear that the "Moral Majority" are spewing. Thanks again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is old but it deserves to be restated: The Moral Majority is neither moral nor the majority.

    ReplyDelete