Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kidneys: Trying to put a positive spin on this

I just returned from two days in Portland, Oregon, at Oregon Health Sciences University. I was being evaluated as a potential recipient of a kidney transplant. The first day was spent doing lots of medical tests and speaking with a counselor about my living situation and mental health. The second day was spent learning about kidney transplants and speaking with a dietitian about my diet and some of the restrictions I would face if I received a transplant. Then there were the doctors. A complete medical history, a physical, and discussion of my current medications. The listing of prior illness, surgery, and medical treatments took forever. That was before the Boss Doc came in to deliver the bad news.

I did not get good feedback about my chances to get a transplant. I did not hear "No" exactly. I did hear that the possibility was very low, given my health history and 40 years of Type 1 diabetes and its complications. I heard a list of reasons why I would not be a good candidate for transplant, enough that I have accepted the denial, even before the official letter arrives in about ten days.

I cried at first. I felt the door close, a whoosh of air, a thump of pressure. My husband hugged me, helped me pick up my stuff: the paperwork, the folder of materials they gave me, my purse stuffed with even more papers. We left the office and went to the car. By then, I was better. I knew what my options were. Dialysis or not.

When my body demands dialysis, I have a couple of choices in type of procedure. I believe I will choose hemodialysis in a center and possibly later I can do home hemodialysis. Or I could choose no treatment. The result of that would be a slow relatively painless death. I think I want to live, even if I have to undergo dialysis. I am not entirely certain of that yet.

7 comments:

  1. Dearest Dellallee-We want u to live-moment_um

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be strong. . .and live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beautiful inside and out and my life is richer with you in it, even if it's only in my twitter and facebook streams. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I am pretty sure Life is in my future, but I needed to wrote about the other option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete