Wednesday, January 20, 2010

New possibilities

I have Stage 4 Renal Failure. And Type 1 Diabetes. Plus a few other things. I am officially disabled according to the Social Security Administration. I have insurance, both through my husband and through Medicare. I am blessed.

I will have to start kidney dialysis soon because of the renal failure. I get to do hemodialysis, which is the kind where you go to a dialysis center three times a week for a few hours each time. I did not want to do home dialysis (also called peritoneal dialysis) because of the rigorous daily routines one must follow. I am blessed.

And even greater possibilities arise. I have been approved for an evaluation by Oregon Health & Sciences University for possible kidney transplant. I have insurance through my husband's employer and through Medicare, and my insurance will pay for this evaluation and most likely the transplant, should I be approved. I don't know yet when the evaluation will be scheduled - most likely in the next month or two. I might even get a new pancreas!! The possibility exists, and I am blessed!

UPDATE: 1/27/2010 I learned my kidney function has improved to 25% of normal. Dialysis has been delayed as long as the percentage stays this high. Need I say it again? I am blessed!

1 comment:

  1. There are always Possibilities :)

    You're in my thoughts, D.

    <3

    ReplyDelete